QuickTest Professional Options
QuickTest Professional– General: Select TOOLS ? OPTIONS. The OPTIONS dialog box appears. Click the GENERAL tab.Some of the general options selections are as follows:
- Check the DISPLAY MANAGER ON STARTUP checkbox to display the MANAGER dialog box when you launch the QuickTest Professional .This enables testers to select the required add-ins when they invoke QuickTest Professional.
- Check the CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES ON STARTUP checkbox to check for any software updates when you launch the QuickTest Professional application. This enables you to get latest updates and fixes.
- Check the AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE AND COMPONENT STEPS WHEN YOU RENAME TEST checkbox to automatically update the test and component steps if you have renamed a test object. This ensures that whenever an object name changes, the QuickTest test is updated automatically.
- Click RESTORE LAYOUT to restore the layout of the QUICKTEST PROFESSIONAL window so that it displays the panes in their default sizes and positions.
QuickTest Professional Options – Active Screen: The settings that you specify in the ACTIVE SCREEN tab set the amount of information to capture about theand the objects in the AUT when you record and run a test.
ACTIVE SCREEN offers a visual representation of each test step. You can make changes to the test script directly from ACTIVE SCREEN without connecting to the AUT.The capture levels for ACTIVE SCREEN are:
- COMPLETE: Captures all the information QuickTest knows, about all the objects in the visible AUT window, for each test step. This is the most comprehensive capture level.
- PARTIAL: Captures only information for the object interacted within the step and its parent window. This is the recommended capture level while test .
QuickTest Professional Options – Run: Select TOOLS ? OPTIONS. The OPTIONS dialog box appears. In the OPTIONS dialog
box, click the RUN tab. Some of the best practices when setting the options in the RUN tab are as follows:
- Select NORMAL to ensure that the execution arrow appears to help troubleshoot your test. Delay each test step to help with debugging.
- Check the VIEW WHEN RUN SESSION ENDS check box to view the TEST RESULTS window after every test run.
QuickTest Professional Options – Run, Cont:
- Check the ALLOW OTHER MERCURY PRODUCTS TO RUN TESTS AND COMPONENTS checkbox if you want to use QuickTest Professional with other HP products such as Performance Center and .
- Check the SAVE STILL IMAGE CAPTURES TO RESULTS checkbox to save screen shots in the test results. Selecting ON ERRORS AND WARNINGS displays a screen shot whenever there is an error or a warning while your test.
- Check the SAVE MOVIE TO RESULTS checkbox to if you want to save a movie of your test run.
Record and Run Settings – Windows: The RECORD AND RUN SETTINGS dialog box appears the first time you click the RECORD button in a new test. This dialog box has a tab for each add-in that you selected. By default, the WINDOWS APPLICATIONS tab is activated.
You can manually display this dialog box by selecting AUTOMATION ? RECORD AND RUN SETTINGS.
As a best practice, you should select the RECORD AND RUN TEST ON ANY OPEN WINDOWS-BASED APPLICATION option when specifying the record and run settings for QuickTest Professional. Selecting this option records allperformed on any Windows-based application that is opened while recording the test.
The RECORD AND RUN ONLY ON option in the RECORD AND RUN SETTINGS dialog box provides you alternate options for recording and running an application.
Check any of the following options:
- APPLICATIONS OPENED BY QUICKTEST: This option enables you to record and run applications that are opened through QuickTest only.
- APPLICATIONS OPENED VIA THE DESKTOP (BY THE WINDOWS SHELL): This option enables you to record and run applications that are opened through Windows desktop.
- APPLICATIONS SPECIFIED BELOW: This option enables you to record and run applications that are specified in the APPLICATION DETAILS area.